Steps To Review WordPress Theme
Here, I am going to tell about the steps to review a WordPress themes, the WordPress theme means WordPress.org trac themes. if you are a beginner and you want to develop a theme and submit on WordPress.org, the blog will guide you. The proper guidelines must be followed by Author to avoid closing the ticket.
The reviewer must review the theme based on the guidelines.
If u are an author, then review your theme by yourself before submitting.
In reviewing a theme.
1. First of all download the theme that you are going to review.
2. Now put that theme on theme folder of your wp-contents.
3. On wp-config.php file make debug true.
4. Activate the theme in the dashboard.
5. Check the browser and console the error(errors are not allowed)
6. Theme check plugin and NS Theme Check plugins are used to check the Errors. Pass the theme in both the plugin and check the errors.
The plugin review the theme in an automated system, so you need to check the listed below items manually.
• Escaped the untrusted data before output.
• Before entering the database proper sanitization and validation is needed.
2. Style and Scripts
• Enqueue the script and style file, it must not be hard coded.
• Unless you provide the original file do not minimize the scripts and files.
• The theme should use ‘WordPress’ default libraries.
• The theme function, classes, global variables, image size name, style handles and script, etc should be prefixed with theme slug.
• The proper license of the third party resources, images, style and script must be included by the theme used on the theme. Your theme should declare copyright as well.
• The theme must have a common language, it must be a translation ready. The text string on the theme should also be a translation ready.
• As per mentioned on the required handbook use a proper tag.
• More than 3 subject tag are not allowed. One subject tag should be mentioned in mandatory.
7. Theme Option via Customizer
• All options are expected in customizer. For theme option setting API is not allowed instead use customizer API.
• All the options are expected to work.
• According to the front page setting the theme must display the correct content. Custom section is not allowed.
• Customizing WordPress features is not allowed.
• Only in the front end Expert length needs to be applied.
• The recommended plugin should must be in a WP.org.
• WordPress should be correctly spelled in all public facing text: one word, with uppercase W P.
• Unnecessary files and folders should be removed
9. Content Creation
• Text area is not allowed on customizer and widgets.
• Do not use an illegal , dishonest or morally offensive things on a theme.
Above mentioned points are the basic requirements for WordPress themes. check your theme on above based guidelines to avoid closing the tickets.
For Details follow the WordPress Theme Standards.